Friday, May 26, 2006

HELP!!! I'm Apartment Hunting...

It's actually been MONTHS that I've been trying to find an apartment downtown... or downtown suburbia. It's interesting to see the differences in apartment hunting from one city to the next.

When I was living in London, and searching for a place to stay, I was clearly advised that if I saw something advertised that I liked, I would have to see it that same day if I wanted to have a chance at all. Here in Montreal, it seems like some places are on the market for quite some time before they actually get rented.

Something else that I noticed was the lack of organisation for online apartment hunting in Montreal. There are only a few sites you can search on, and there really isn't that much there. I must admit that I haven't searched the newspapers, which might actually have more to offer, but I think I'm more of a computer girl than a classified ads girl.

OK. Here's the deal. What I'm looking for is what's in the picture. LMAO (In case you are not aware, that means "laugh my arse off".) Am I being a tad unrealistic considering I'm on a tight budget? hehe In reality, what I'd like is a rental price that ideally includes EVERYTHING (heating, hot water, electricity) and a place that is either as central downtown as possible, or close by.

For example, something in the Atwater Market area would be really cool. I'm thinking of finding something along the lines of $600 CAD or less, and YES, it isn't an unrealistic goal from what I've seen so far. As for size, the bigger the better (in this case, size DOES matter! lol). In terms of deadlines, I would like to move sometime in August preferably. That way, I can be ready for school and stuff. I HATE DRIVING IN TRAFFIC!!!


I think I've covered all my bases here. If you guys have any suggestions or questions or comments, please feel free to let me know. I know I'm going to miss the Wild Wild West Island, and being close to my family, but there comes a point in time where you need to be more independent and make tough choices that will help you in the end

Now let me go daydream about the apartment in the pic... lol

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, its John (u best not ask "which John?" LoL)

i live on the south shore and...
I pay 450 for rent
+ 75 hydro = 525$ CAD for a 3 1/2.
uve been here, its decent.
but for 600$ CAD downtown u wont get much.
my sis lived a few blocks from Concodia University and she paid 600$ CAD for her 1 1/2. it was the size of my apt's living room and dinning area and thats it.
so unless u plan to have a room mate or can raise ur budget, u wont find much in downtown. look more into Angrinion. its a decent area and costs less.

also i pay
200$ a month to Videotron (phone / internet / TV)
100$ a month to Bell (cell)
100$ a month for transportation
250$ a month for food
so that sums up to around 1,200$ and i live comfortably. not taking into acct my numerous credit card bills and pocket money. so um, good luck Hourig =) wish u the best of chances.

Sat May 27, 02:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lil Flame said...

I know, I know, JOHN (which John? lol kidding...)! BUT!!! I don't particularly care how big the place is, AND I've seen bigger places than yours for cheaper and closer to downtown...

As for the additional things, I'm not going to get all that Videotron crap and I'm certainly not changing my cell phone to Bell... lol That saves me lots of $$$. (I'm doing my best to tease you, is it working? lol)

I'm gonna keep on looking for places and hope for the best! But thanks for the run-down...

Sat May 27, 03:08:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um since you mentioned your a computer girl, i should mention that PC's RULE .. but macs are catching up with the whole intel and bootcamp thing.. grrr

btw, good luck appartment hunting. with your tenatious nature, your sure to find something quick!

chocolate digestive x

Wed May 31, 07:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lil Flame said...

Hey Chocolate Digestive...

I didn't want to say anything, but you've FORCED me to publicly denounce you as being converted to the "dark side" yourself! lol

Isn't it true you spend countless hours at the Regent Street Apple store, and even MORE hours dreaming about buying everything there??? lol

I rest my case.

And I want you to buy me that apartment that's in the pic... Pretty please with a cherry on top! It's only fair since I'm the giver of the best gift you ever got! hehe

By the way, IF you buy me the apartment, you're welcome to visit it any time you like, as long as you don't inconvenience me! lmao

xoxo

Wed May 31, 10:50:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I may be anonymous to the blogging world but I am most definitely not to the lilflame! Let's see if she can guess who this is!

I have to say I agree with John in that you won't find the picture you posted for 600$ in dwntwn mtl. Maybe you'll find a picture as in a PHOTO of the apartment about the size of a mural but NOT the apartment itself! Yeah I agree boo to that but c'est la vie!

Good news is, I've found some "cheaper than my pretty apartment" places on viewit.ca. E.g. townhouses on Mackay for 700-900$... very good price do you ask me.

Speaking of my pretty apartment you should come and see it sometime! Have you guessed who I am yet? If you have, txt me as I know that is the communication medium you are most versed in! If you were to phone once in a while you would probably hear me singing a song you thoroughly enjoy and request often!

Fri Jun 02, 01:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lil Flame said...

So my little cousin who has moved to TORONTO (hear that Mr Chocolate Digestive??? lol) thinks she can pull a fast one on me, huh?

Thanks for the info Tam! I'm gonna check it out right away!

And by the way... I don't know if you forgot, but I am HOURIG! If I WANT, I can find an apartment for $1 like the one in the picture cause I just can! lol

Now you owe me a pretty little Greek song sung from your pretty little apartment... And if you want me to visit, I need a special invitation and red carpet treatment as usual!

xoxox

Fri Jun 02, 02:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This song is about a girl who is on her way to meet her lover by the eucalyptus tree.

EXAXO

I exaxo, I manaxo
miniminiminimini exaxo.

And here is another little song...

Mon Jun 12, 04:04:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Sat Jul 01, 06:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lil Flame said...

Thank you for the great compliment! All you need to do is go to www.blogger.com and you can get your own blog site! It's pretty simple! Hope you write me more comments on my posts to give me your opinions and suggestions to things!

Sun Jul 02, 03:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Lil Flame said...

Thank you so much for the compliment! I like hearing the comments of those who read my blog, and I'm flattered that you enjoyed it!

I'm gonna keep writing, so I hope you keep reading! :-)

Tue Jul 18, 04:19:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Thu Jul 20, 04:45:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home